Wow it’s been ages since my last post, life has rather got in the way! We are in the process of preparing our house to sell as we will be moving to Nottingham soon. It’s been rather a task and I’ve been neglecting my baking and crochet to garden, de-clutter and clean like crazy! The end of the prep is in sight as we have painters and new carpets happening this week!
More importantly we had visitors this weekend and I decided to whip up a batch of sausage rolls. Whip being the operative word as these sausage rolls are super easy and quick to make and usually disappear as quickly! The recipe is inspired by recipe but I’ve made it even more simple and quick to do.
- Pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
- Pack of sausage meat or 6 sausages
- Red onion chutney
- Egg to wash rolls
- Handful of sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Unroll your pastry and lay it out on a flat surface, cut down the middle length ways to make two long stripes.
- Spread a thin layer of red onion chutney down the middle of each pastry strip.
- If using sausages remove from their casings, mix meat gently to form a ball. Split into 2 halves and make each half into a long sausage the length of your pastry strip. Don’t make them too fat as you need to be able to overlap the pastry.
- Take the edges of the pastry and fold over the top of the meat and press down gently to seal. Cut each half into individual sausage rolls at your preferred size, I usually get 8 – 10 out of each half.
- Whisk your egg and wash each sausage roll and sprinkle a few sesame seeds onto if using.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minuets until golden on top.
Now enjoy these yummy homemade sausage roll treats in all their flaky pastry gorgeousness! For variety you could use different chutneys, add cooked onion or herbs to your sausage meat or top with poppy seeds or Parmesan cheese. Hope you enjoy these simple but tasty treats, I’d love to hear about your sausage roll triumphs so share some love and leave me a comment!